(Update August 2012)
"I hereby grant all DeviantArtists permission to use my stock in any and all Deviant Prints without restriction."
Since I no longer have time to track and +fav every use of my stock, you are encouraged to post a link to your use of the stock on the comment area of each image, so others can see your work.
Email is the best/only way to reach me. Do not email me unless you are sure it's important! I am firstname.lastname@example.org
MY RULES ("'Do as thou will't shall be the whole of the law")
You are required to give me appropriate credit as photographer where and however possible. My stock is free; the way you 'pay' to use it is by crediting me. It doesn't need to be in big letters on the image, it can be in text or a link or in liner notes, or whatever - but it's your responsibility to acknowledge if my work contributes significantly to yours. If you post a link, I prefer it to be to my personal website ( www.ranum.com ) My real name is Marcus Ranum please use that instead of "mjranum" because I occasionally amuse myself for google image-searching for my name.
If you violate any of these rules or violate any of my copyrights you are prohibited entirely, forever, from using any of my stock in any way, shape, or form - commercially or otherwise. No appeals and no amount of begging will help; decisions are final.
You may use these images as you see fit except as follows:
1) If you can't read my rules, or can't be bothered to read my rules, or can't be bothered to find and read my rules, you are too lazy or illiterate to use my stock and are permanently banned from doing so. If you email me asking 'what are your rules' you are permanently banned from using my stock, unless I tell you otherwise.
2) You are required to give me appropriate credit as photographer where and however possible.
3) You are allowed to post works based on my stock in other places (RedBubble, Renderosity, Facebook, personal websites, contests, whatever) but please maintain a credit to me where appropriate and possible.
4) Do not simply upload my stock to a pay site; if you do that, you'll get a DMCA request from me and possibly I'll sue you for damages. These images are for photocompositors and artists; they are not to be used as content in and of themselves.
5) If you want to do something commercial with my stock, go ahead. Please don't tell me "I am thinking of doing something with your stock, what do you think?" because I can't tell you what I think of what you're going to do until you've done it. Go ahead and use the stock; unless you manage to do something shockingly awful I won't have a problem with it - and it takes a lot to shock me.
6) The models in my images are real human beings with real feelings. Please be considerate of how the models might see themselves and be thoughtful of their feelings. I consider comments like "she's too skinny" or "she's too fat" to be rude and you may be banned from using my stock if you make such remarks.
7) These images are mostly un-retouched - though they may be color-corrected - and are at high resolution. I did not go and remove dust-spots, skin blemishes, etc. Please clean that stuff up in post-work and make the models look good! Also: I do know how to produce a good photo; these are intended as raw stock.
8) I often forward copies of pictures to the models if they aren't on DA and have expressed an interest in seeing what you do with them. Some of the models may choose to repost your images noncommercially in their personal portfolios.
9) If you use my stock as a reference for a hand gesture or a fabric-fold or something like that, you do not need to credit me. Use your own judgement as to how important my stock's contribution was to your work.
If you have any questions; ask via Email.
If you ask me a question that is already answered here, I will not answer unless it's "See Rule #1"
(Update of Aug 2012)
- Removed the request to be notified of commercial use. New rule: "just go ahead"
- Added explanation at #9 regarding use as reference material
- Mood: Artistic
Thank you, great resource for figure drawing practice - beautiful photos, thank you for making us able to use them with such generous terms
Read and agree to your terms! Thank you!
I am just a beginner but thanx in advance for your support by claiming these rules. Keep you informed when used. Greetz, Guido
your rules of use is my favorite.
hi i want to use yr beautiful stock for my works . but i don.t have a kart can i use them . i will send you u link.
please reply this . thank you : )
please reply this . thank you : )
THANK YOU GOD BLESS YOU BEAUTIFUL WORK
Thank you for your stock i do believe i will be using some. will comment on photos if i decide to great work!
Thanks! I'm working on a book cover that will be published early 2014. You've got awesome models! Will credit you and post a link on DA when it's published.
Very useful material, thank you
Just came across your stock images after a friend credited you in his latest piece. Thank you for you great attitude towards art and your fantastic works
I have read your rules and will credit on any image I use. More ppl like you please
thank you so much for your stock images!!!
thank you very much
Thank you for providing great photography for artists to work with.
Also thanks for making your terms less legal-ese and more human-ese.
You rock M J Ranum!